Saturday, March 17, 2012

Stove-top Macaroni and Cheese

I have been hunting for a quick stove-top recipe for macaroni and cheese! 
I like the baked macaroni and cheese recipes, but I miss the creaminess that you get when you make boxed macaroni and cheese on the stove. 
I'll admit it, I am a huge Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. And whenever I try a recipe I am always hoping in the back of mind that it is similar to Kraft. 
I need to make sure not to overload on the cheese next time though, it got extremely thick while I was eating it. Plus I would like to use the different type of cheeses that the recipe calls for instead of just cheddar. I used cheddar since that is all I had on hand at the time. 

Stove-top Macaroni and Cheese
*Yields 4 Servings

2 eggs
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk, divided
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon water
½ teaspoon salt, plus additional 1½ teaspoons for pasta water
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
8 ounces (2 cups) elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 ounces mild Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
4 ounces American cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)

1. In a small cup, dissolve the dry mustard in the water; set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, 1 cup of the evaporated milk, dry mustard mixture, salt, and pepper; set aside.

3. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Add the pasta and 1½ teaspoons salt and cook, stirring often, until al dente. Drain the pasta and return to the pot over low heat. Add the butter and stir until completely melted.

4. Add the egg mixture and three-quarters of the cheese mixture to the pasta and toss until thoroughly combined and the cheese starts to melt. Gradually add the remaining evaporated milk and remaining cheese mixture, stirring constantly, until the mixture is hot and creamy, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.


Recipe From: Brown Eyed Baker

No comments: