Sunday, May 17, 2015

Death Star Pinata


In honor of May the 4th be with you and Cinco De Mayo, I made a Death Star pinata for my Young Women church group.
Mindy, if you are reading this post, I totally thought of you and your family the whole time I was making it!
I purchased a punching balloon from the Dollar Store, cut some newspaper into about 3 x 3 inch strips, made up a paste of flour and water and got to work!
I dipped the newspaper into the flour paste and enclosed the balloon. Let it dry and then did another layer. I did this a total of 3 times.
Once dried, we cut a hole in the upper portion to make the indented part of the Death Star. This also popped the balloon inside, which we removed and replaced with a bunch of candy.
We taped the inverted part back onto the rest of the pinata and then spray painted it gray. I would recommend spray painting it once before cutting away the hole, because the tape didn't stick to the floury paper very well. Once dried, the Dude drew the lines on the inverted part and wrapped electrical tape around the middle.
The girls loved it! 
Some may have had to look up what the Death Star even was, but they all thought it was pretty neat!
But, who doesn't love hitting a pinata that is going to produce candy as the end result??
Plus there is just something satisfying about fighting the Dark Side.

No comments: